Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tim Gunn's Guide to Style and Me!

Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style

October 30, 2008


This episode was particularly interesting in that it started with a woman who had enough clothing to “run a boutique” out of her closet. She had approximately 280 items including 54 pairs of pants. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! Instead of tossing everything and sending her out shopping they first inventoried and edited her closet. At the InStyle studio they had her accessorize a dress she already owned. They still gave her a present, which is great for her, but can’t they just send me some jewelry too?

I usually really want to join them on the visit to the designer, but the outfits they had her try on weren’t my favorites, and with dresses retailing for thousands of dollars I would be afraid to sneeze. The one[1] the designer, Naeem Khan, gave her was by far my favorite out of the bunch. The dresses looked heavy


We end with Diane receiving a gift of diamond and white gold earings. Tim and Greta give the best presents.

Tim Gunn’s basic rule is “every woman needs 10 essential items in her wardrobe.”

1. Basic Black Dress

2. Trench Coat

3. Classic Dress Pants

4. White Shirt

5. Jeans

6. Cashmere Sweater

7. Skirt

8. Day Dress

9. Blazer

10. Sweat suit Alternative

Bonus: Indulgent Trendy Item


I really like his list. I think it’s practical and can be frugal (with the possible exception of the cashmere).

I really like this show. I don’t think I need Tim’s help, but would he think so? I decided to evaluate my own wardrobe using Tim’s rules (after the show was over of course).




[1] Photo courtesy of NY Magazine

No comments: